Over deze vacature
The department R&D IT provides IT Services enabling R&D engineers to do their engineering work. The design environment is an integrated solution and service of Design Infrastructure, EDA application landscape, Design Data Management and Product Creation Applications. The Global R&D IT services are delivered from small number locations, containing Data Centers (full set of services) and Satellites Centers (limited set of services). The objective of R&D IT is to ensure Business Success and Market Leadership for NXP by providing Best-in-Class R&D IT Services and R&D IT Solutions.
The mission of R&D IT Design Infrastructure is to offer a state-of-the-art design environment for the chip hardware designers of NXP. The R&D IT design environment is a complex landscape of EDA Applications, High Performance Compute, and Storage environments - consolidated in five regional datacenters. Over 7,000 chip hardware designers, spread across 40+ locations around the world, use this state-of-the-art design environment to design new chips and drive the innovation of NXP. The following figures give an idea about the scale: the landscape has more 75,000+ cores, 30+ PBytes of data, and serves 2,000+ CAD applications and versions. The operational service teams are globally organized to cover 24/7 support to the chip hardware design and software design projects.
Since the landscape is really too complex to manage the traditional way, it is NXP's strategy to transform the R&D IT design infrastructure into “software-defined datacenters”. This transformation entails a different way of work and a different mind-set (DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering) to ensure that our IT services are reliable. That’s why we are looking for a Technical VMWare Engineer to strengthen the Squad that is building a new software defined VMWare platform for our IT landscape, so that we can manage it with best practices from software engineering and offer the IT service reliability which is required by our chip hardware design community.
It will be your role to implement a new virtualization platform based on VMWare and to design solutions that fit into our automation framework (Splunk, Service Now, Ansible). You will work DevOps / Scrum and apply techniques of continuous verification (CI/CD) to ensure the quality of your products. You build it. You run it.
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications.
You will be employed by YER and seconded to NXP. We offer:
- Good employee benefits (e.g. work-life balance, pension, lease car, bonus model)
- Challenging assignments
- Excellent guidance from your consultant and YER's back office
- Development opportunities, including the YER Talent Development Programme with a personal coach
- Intensive support for international candidates (including Dutch lessons, tax-return and accommodation assistance)
- Cooperative and results and relationship-driven
- Friendly atmosphere and open culture
- Community/network with other technology professionals from a variety of multinationals
- Events and master classes with interesting speakers and attractive companies
Your responsibilities as Technical VMWare Engineer:
- Detail Design, develop and maintain VMWare products like VMWare vSphere, vSAN and vRealize
- Translate the created VMWare reference architecture into technical solutions
- Provide input to support the team to design, develop and maintain automation products with playbooks (YAML) and modules (Python/PowerShell) in tools like Ansible Tower and Service-Now
- Test and verify the code produced by the team to continuously improve and refactor
- Verify code changes for the VMWare platform of other team members
- Train team members and others with your extensive VMWare product knowledge
- Work together with ServiceNow developers in your team to provide the best intuitive end-user experience possible for the new platform
- Ensure critical components in the VMWare platform are monitored to provide high levels of service availability and performance
- Maintain and support the VMWare platform and of its components like virtual networking, storage, compute and backup
- Support other teams and users with using the new VMWare platform
We are looking for a DevOps engineer/consultant with the following characteristics:
- Master or Bachelor degree
- You are a technical, creative, analytical and open-minded engineer that is eager to learn and not afraid to take initiative.
- Your favorite t-shirt has “VMWare” or “Cloud foundry” printed on it at least once.
- IT infrastructure guru: You have great knowledge about Virtualization (VMWare), using / setting up storage (like vSAN, NetApp) and containers (like Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience in Infrastructure services, e.g., Networking, DNS, LDAP, SMTP
- Experience with dashboarding and monitoring solutions like vRealize
- You have great solution design skills which you use to explain planned and already developed solutions to a variety of stakeholders (business users, management and IT colleagues).
- DevOps mindset: You are a team-player that is eager to develop and maintain cool products to automate/optimize processes in a complex IT infrastructure and are able to build and maintain productive working relationships
- T-shaped skillset: You are specialized in one or more fields, but also are cross-skilled with broad experience and knowledge to collaborate across disciplines with experts in other areas than your own.
- You have great English communication skills, both verbally as in writing.
Other competences we value, but are not strictly mandatory:
- Experience with agile development methods, like Scrum, and are convinced of its power to deliver products with immense (business) value.
- “Security” is your middle name, and you are always challenging yourself and your colleagues to design and develop new solutions as security tight as possible.
- Being a master in automation and orchestration with tools like Ansible Tower (or comparable) and feel comfortable with developing new modules in Python or PowerShell.
- It would be awesome if you are already a true Yoda when it comes to code version control and branching strategies with Git, and preferably have worked with GitLab before.
- Experience with automated testing in a CI/CD pipeline with Ansible, Python and tools like Selenium.
- An enthusiast on cloud platforms like AWS.
- Background in and affinity with R&D