Marketing & Communication
Detachering via YER
Over deze vacature
Do you have 1-3 years of experience in a Policy Enviroment and strong communications skills? And would you like to work for an international company? Then read further because I am looking for a Public Affairs Officer for DSM in Sittard.
The challenge of the DSM Public Affairs function is to support DSM and it business groups in realizing its business strategies to create a competitive advantage and improve DSM’s license to operate via strategic influencing society and the political & regulatory environment. The challenge for this new position is to (help) manage and analyze (external) information flows from relevant stakeholders and in the context of DSM’s EU and NL public affairs/advocacy. Starting in the areas materials sciences, low carbon economy and renewables issues (incl. circular economy, industrial biotechnology/bioeconomy).
Public Affairs - as part of Global Communications and Branding - is one of the key support functions in DSM. The key elements of the function are to:
- Monitor and analyze relevant policy developments in Brussels and The Hague against DSM’s business needs;
- Assess EC, EP and NL Parliament agendas against relevant DSM topics;
- Analyze and process information flows from relevant industry associations and support/prepare briefs for DSM colleagues in their representative roles;
- Support PA directors in matching business needs with policy opportunities or threats, via workshops, briefs, PA policy updates etc.;
- Provide support in improving DSMs visibility and networks in Brussels and The Hague;
- Engaging with relevant internal (business and corporate) stakeholders and external stakeholders (e.g. staff and assistants of politicians/policy makers, industry associations).
The function plays a key role in securing DSM’s license to operate and improving our competitiveness based on EU and NL political and policy developments. The function is part of a global network of PA professionals and is meant to support the DSM EU and NL directors Public Affairs. You will report to the Director Regional Communications and External Affairs.
DSM is looking for a public affairs officer (location: flex (Sittard/Brussels)); the position will start with a 2 year temporary contract.
We welcome you to a challenging, innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore. YER is preferred supplier.
You will be employed by YER and seconded to DSM.
Your main activities:
- Monitor relevant agendas of institutions in Brussels (European Commission & European Parliament) and The Hague (Parliament, relevant Ministries);
- Identify relevant policy developments (threats & opportunities) and analyze for potential interventions based on the needs of DSM’s Business Groups;
- Analyze and process information flows from relevant industry associations (e.g. Cefic, EuropaBio, VNO-NCW, etc.) and link to DSM business threats & opportunities;
- Draft briefs for DSM colleagues in their representative roles in associations;
- Give support to (internal) initiatives to identify business opportunities, based on identified policy developments. Support colleagues in preparing workshops, drafting briefs, and keeping track of follow-up actions;
- Create opportunities to improving DSMs visibility and networks in Brussels and The Hague;
- Support the PA function in stakeholder mapping. For internal stakeholders: by connecting business interest with policy opportunities; for external stakeholders (e.g. staff & assistants of politicians / policy makers, industry associations, NGOs etc.): by providing overviews of roles, interests and impact;
The Ideal candidate has:
- 1-3 years of experience in a policy environment, either as assistant to an MEP, or working experience at the European Commission, PermRep or industry associations;
- A relevant business/scientific degree ( e.g. European Studies, Political Sciences), or a business/scientific degree;
- Knowledge of the respective policy environments in Brussels and The Hague;
- Ability to translate policy developments into business threats and opportunities;
- Able to quickly understand DSM products and markets and relate them to policy and legislative frameworks;
- Languages: Dutch and English and preferably good command;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong skills in managing several complex infomation flows;
- Ability to interact with a demanding group of stakeholders;
- Personal characteristics: communicative, networker, flexible, diplomatic, hands on mentality, cope with high pressure, professional, representative, pro-active and culturally sensitive.