Secondment via YER
About this vacancy
As a Radar EOV expert at TNO you work on high-quality systems that monitor the electromagnetic spectrum for the presence of radar signals, indicate, and classify these signals by, among other things, using intelligent deep learning methods.
You develop high-quality radar EOV systems for new naval vessels. The navy will replace a large part of its fleet in the coming years. The new ships are equipped with the most advanced sensor and radar technology. The systems you are working on monitor the electromagnetic spectrum for the presence of (hostile) radar signals interpret these signals and combine knowledge of radar signature.
Thanks to these systems, ships have the right environmental information at the right time and can take appropriate countermeasures in time for acute threats. You help to optimize this process and make it future-proof. For this, you make smart use of modern techniques in the field of parameter estimation, machine learning and tracking. Of course you also want to know if the models you develop work in practice. That is why you are present every now and then for experiments and measurements on board.
In various research projects, you also work on knowledge acquisition and assurance on signature-determining effects, for example by developing algorithms and software models. On the other hand, you translate these scientific insights into their application in innovative systems that can be used in practice. You work closely with defence and industrial partners when developing measures that reduce signatures.
The Electronic Defence department specializes in the use and abuse of the electromagnetic spectrum. For example, we have knowledge about locating transmission sources or identifying unknown signals, but also about disrupting communication or forging position information. With this knowledge base, the Electronic Defence department provides an operational advantage for our customers, whether the Dutch soldiers are in a deployment area, the intelligence and investigation services or the Dutch shipbuilders who develop the newest generation of navy frigates.
- You will be employed by YER and seconded to TNO
- Good employee benefits (e.g. work-life balance, bonus model)
- Challenging assignments
- Excellent guidance from your consultant and YER's back office
- Development opportunities, including the YER Talent Development Programme with a personal coach
- Intensive support for international candidates (including Dutch lessons, tax-return and accommodation assistance)
- Cooperative and results and relationship-driven
- Friendly atmosphere and open culture
- Community/network with other technology professionals from a variety of multinationals
- Events and master classes with interesting speakers and attractive companies
You are an expert when it comes to radar systems and you want to use your knowledge for social impact. Innovation and development are self-evident for you. You know how to approach and are able to translate insights from the scientific world into the practice of defence and security. You can clearly convey the results of your research in advice, reports and presentations
• A university degree, whether or not supplemented by a PhD in a technical direction, preferably physics, electrical engineering, artificial intelligence, advanced technology or biomedical engineering
• Demonstrable affinity with machine learning, digital signal processing and electromagnetic propagation and / or electromagnetic effects
• Preferably knowledge of radar technology and / or radar system concepts
• Preferably experience in the defence domain
• Good command of English and willingness to work abroad for short periods when necessary.