Secondment via YER, Interim/independent
High Tech, IT & Telecom
About this vacancy
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of semiconductor-chip-making equipment. A majority of the world’s microchips receive their critical lithographic patterning in machines made by ASML. In addition, ASML produces metrology tools and advanced applications to analyse and optimize the performance of the customer production process. A large part of the development work linked to these tools is software driven. When people think ‘software’, they often think of companies like Google or Microsoft. Even though ASML is classified as a hardware company, we in fact have one of the world's largest and most pioneering Java communities
Develop software services in a Java cloud native driven microservice architecture. The components you will be working on deliver an abstraction layer between the ASML core equipment (scanners and metrology, collection of data) and the intelligent correction software engines that rely on this data. Next to the collection and storage of the data also deliver scheduling, notification and other generic building blocks. The software platform you deliver shall simplify the development and updates of the correction engines and enable future data driven use cases to be developed on top of your platform.
As a Virtual Compute Platform (VCP) platform Java Developer, you are part of a Scrum Team. Our Scrum Teams are relatively large; teams are composed of about 8-10 engineers. You develop in Java 8, migration to Java 11 is planned. The development is done using a Bamboo based CI/CD pipeline. You test your code at several stages before you deliver. We have automated unit and some integration tests. We measure coverage in SonarQube. Coverage levels are extremely high.
As we develop platform software you will also be able to work on larger test clusters composed of many compute, edge, storage and master nodes. We apply open source technologies like Kafka as well as some licensed products. Current platform architecture is based on DC/OS, we invest the introduction of K8S on this platform.
Responsibilities of the Platform Java Developer:
- Development of platform Microservices using Java 8 / Java 11
- Review detailed designs, contribute
- Increase stability and reliability of VCP by automated testing and automation
- Improve the functionality and reliability of VCP as a platform
- Consider the ASML use case, platform running on site with complex access procedures; ensure logging, observability and telemetry are in place to support troubleshooting of the most complex issue
- Apply JIRA hygiene in order to minimize administrative overhead for project planning tasks conducted by PO, SM and partially team.
- Issue investigation and resolution. Take up an issue, bite into it and do not let go until understood and resolved. Ask for support when this is the more efficient path to solve but do not allow issue tennis.
- Continuously improve to drive #issues down
- Act as an expert, not as an executioner; help clarify requirements before start and during development. Seek understanding and be able to explain to drive the creation of the right product in the right timeframe.
ASML is a successful Dutch high-tech enterprise that produces complex lithography systems used by chip manufacturers in the production of integrated circuits. ASML is at the cutting edge of this technology and delivers systems to all the world's leading chip manufacturers. ASML's employees are among the most creative talents in the fields of physics, mathematics, chemistry, mechanical engineering and software. Every day they collaborate in close-knit multidisciplinary teams in which members listen to and learn from one another and exchange ideas. It is the ideal environment for professional development and personal growth.
ASML is headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
You will be employed by YER and seconded to ASML. We offer:
- Good employee benefits (e.g. work-life balance, pension, lease car, bonus model)
- Challenging assignments
- Excellent guidance from your consultant and YER's back office
- Development opportunities, including the YER Talent Development Programme with a personal coach
- Intensive support for international candidates (including Dutch lessons, tax-return and accommodation assistance)
- Cooperative and results and relationship-driven
- Friendly atmosphere and open culture
- Community/network with other technology professionals from a variety of multinationals
- Events and master classes with interesting speakers and attractive companies
Required qualifications & experiences
- Knowledge of distributed computing systems, practical experience
- Experienced in build and release infrastructure, Maven, Nexus, Bamboo, Github
- Developed Java for a few years (> 3)
- Developed Microservices, large experience with Spring Boot
- Experience with database technologies such as SQL, MongoDB
- Experience with distributed message queues/logs such as Kafka, RabbitMQ
- 4+ years’ experience in topics above
- Understand inter process communication and JVM peculiarities.
- Experienced Java EE developer, fluent in Java 8, Java 11 (must)
- Experience with new technology introduction @ zero downtime including data migration
- Fan of automatic testing and qualification, it can be part of CI/CD pipeline.
- Problem-solving / Go-fix mentality
- Structured thinking, structured communication
- Automate testing over repeated manual test
- Positive attitude
- Can balance short term business needs and long-term stability, can manage technical debt
- Broad Obsession about e.g., Java, Kafka, Mongo, Microservices
- Ability to dive deep into a specific topic even though not being involved in earlier development
- Evolutionary mindset over drive to redo from scratch
- Think logically and use that ability to solve problems
- hands on mentality
- Have fun working in a team, even under corona conditions
- Available to work (remotely) outside regular office hours when it proves that attempt to build a fail-safe system was not yet successful. We really want this to be an exception, not a rule